Tuesday, May 21, 2013

One Act Play

Alvin: 15-18, a high school student who is always looking to help people out, at times to a fault.

Kenny: 15-18, Alvin's enthusiastic friend who often fails to realize the danger in a situation.

Manny: 15-18, a new kid at school with a thick Italian accent whose background is a little mysterious.

Scene: A late fall night in New York, at a dock on the Hudson River.  Alvin is talking on his cell phone.

Alvin: Sorry, Kenny I can't tonight.  I'm helping out that new kid Manny with a job... I'm not really sure.  He never told me.  He just asked if I'd help him out with a job and I could use the money so I said yes!... Oh come on, what could I possibly be doing that I'd be uncomfortable with?... Oh ya, I'm sure Manny Anzelmo spends his saturday nights "comforting" old ladies at the retirement home, and decided to rope me in.  Besides, we're not even close to the retirement home... He sent me out to that old dock off the Hudson.  Ya know now that I think about it, his dad is the owner of Anzelmo shipping and receiving.  I see their boats around all the time.  We're probably just doing some loading for them or something... Alright, see ya later.

The engine of a truck is heard, headlights shine on Alvin, then go out, the engine stops, and Manny enters.  

Manny: Hey Al, you ready to do this?

Alvin: Yeah sure.  So what exactly are we doing here?

Manny: Just helpin' out my dad with his work.

Alvin: Ok, that's what I thought.

Manny: I'll go grab one and we'll start unloading.

Manny exits, then enters, dragging a long, heavy, black bag.  Alvin glances down to see it.  

Alvin: Uhhhhh... wha... wha... what is that? (Stuttering)

Manny: Work! And let me tell you he was a squirmy one.  Let's dump this guy!

Alvin: Uhhhh III've gotta make call.  My... my mom wants me to pick up dinner!

Alvin runs to the side and pulls out his phone.  

Alvin: (hushed) Kenny! Hey! Look, things are a little different then I thought.  Look, I'm sorry to even rope you into this because of your dad and all, but this kid's got a bunch of dead bodies!... I know!  I think he might be part of the mob!  I gotta get out of here! I need you to come swing by in your truck... Kenny? Kenny?! Oh god...

Manny: Hey what's the hold up? Mama can't decide if she wants barbecue sauce?

Alvin: There were... uhhh... a lot of side options, and she was considering potato wedges even though--

Manny: I don't care.  Will ya just help me already?

Alvin: Yeah... listen Manny... I'm not sure this kinda thing is exactly--

Manny: Hey! Who's that over there?!

Kenny enters

Kenny: Hey guys, what's goin' on?

Manny pulls out a gun

Manny: You got 2 seconds to tell me who you are and what you're doing here before I blow your head off!!!

Kenny: Ahhh please don't shoot! I'm here to help! I'm Alvin's friend!

Manny: You invited him?!?!

Alvin: What?! No! Why would I do that?!

Manny: Well then why is he here?

Alvin: I don't know!

Kenny: Hey, it just sounded like fun, I thought I could help you guys out.

Manny slowly drops his gun

Manny: (Surprisingly upbeat) Well then let's get crackin'! Gimme a hand new guy!

Kenny: It's Kenny.

The two grab the first body and hurl it offstage.  Manny exits to get another.

Alvin: Dude! What are you doing here?!

Kenny: I'm here to help!

Alvin: What do you mean you're here to help?! This guy almost shot you!

Kenny: Oh please, he was never gonna shoot me.  Does he really look like a killer to you?

Alvin: He killed all of those guys!

Kenny: Huh, yeah I guess he did.

Alvin: Why did you come here in the first place?

Kenny: Are you kidding? You called me and said you're helping this new Italian kid unload a bunch of dead bodies! That sounds like the mob to me, and I gotta get in on that.

Alvin: This guy's a psychopath!

Kenny: What? Noooo. Just a murderer! And a disposer of corpses.  Like us!

Alvin: This isn't what we do, Kenny! We live in a suburb! We are not part of the mob! For God's sake, what would your dad say?

Kenny: (intense, grabbing Alvin by the neck of his shirt) Don't you dare bring my dad in to this!  (let's go, relaxes slightly) Sorry. (pause) But my dad made his decisions.  He wasn't a very smart guy.  And just because he couldn't handle a little danger doesn't mean I can't.

Manny: (from offstage) Al, Kenny, come gimme a hand, I got a big guy over here.

Alvin: Look, we'll just politely tell him that we can't be a part of this. 

Kenny: What? No!

Manny enters

Manny: Hey, what's the hold up? I need some help with fat albert over here.

Alvin: Listen, Manny, I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding here.  You see, we're not really the type of guys who are suited for this line of work.

Manny: What? No, you're fine in what you're wearing.  Ya know ya don't have to go in the water right? God, why does everyone always think ya gotta jump in with them?

Alvin: No, see, I think we're misunderstanding each other here.  What I'm trying to say is that--

Kenny: What my friend here is trying to say is that we are extremely grateful for the opportunity to work with you!

Alvin: ...excuse us for a second.   

(hushed and to the side)

Alvin: What was that?!

Kenny: I'm not letting you ruin this for me Alvin.

Alvin: You're not a criminal Kenny! You're going to get arrested, if not killed!

Kenny: I'm not saying I wanna be a hit man. But this is a once in a lifetime opportunity! The mob is a powerful organization and I'd really rather have them on my side.  Let's just not burn any bridges, alright?

Alvin: What about dead bodies, huh? Is it ok to burn those? Or maybe evidence, or homes, or hospitals? This is some sketchy stuff!

Kenny: Maybe you just aren't mature enough to handle it.  But I am! If you wanna run away like a little boy then by all means be my guest.  But I've dealt with death.  It's a part of my life.  And I'd much prefer my wife and kids to have a killer for a father than have a police officer knock on their door and tell them they found their dad floating in a river.

Lights and sirens come from offstage

Manny: Cops? What the hell is this? (turns to Kenny) You set me up! You're a snitch, you set me up! I knew!

Kenny: (panicked) What?! No, of course I didn't! I would ne--

Manny pulls out his gun and shoots Kenny in the head

Alvin: You bastard!

Alvin charges at Manny immediately, knocking him to the ground, and beats him while beginning to sob.  As he does, gunshots come from offstage and Alvin falls over, dead.  

The end.
















2 comments:

  1. 1. It's about two kids that get caught up in mob work.
    2. Mob
    3. "And let me tell you he was a squirmy one. Let's dump this guy!"
    4. That the friend actually wants to help.
    5. This is like a jack-in-the-box because new things are jumping out constantly.
    6. Maybe focus more on how Alvin feels during all of this, with his friend actually wanting to help and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) two kids caught up in the mob
    2) Mafia
    3) You're not a criminal Kenny!
    4) Alvin is scared and Kenny is too willing to help
    5) This is like a pencil drawing, because its sketchy
    6) Have a more conclusive ending

    ReplyDelete